Having made the decision to subscribe for pay TV services, you are likely to find yourself spoilt for choice. That is because there are so many subscription TV services for you to choose from. And each of the pay TV service providers claims to be the best: complete with glitzy brochures and fascinating websites. Yet when all is said and done, you have to settle for one pay TV service to subscribe to (unless you happen to have a great deal of money, in which case you can subscribe for multiple pay TV services, and possibly end up being unable to keep up with them all).
Now there are several ways in which you can choose a pay TV service to subscribe for such as FXnetwork. You can opt to just settle for the first pay TV service you come across. Or you can opt to subscribe for the pay TV service whose provider has the catchiest marketing phrases, glitziest brochures or most fascinating website. Or at yet another level, you can opt to objectively compare the various pay TV services, and ultimately settle for the one that has better merits. Now most reasonable people would opt for the latter approach: where you objectively compare the various pay TV services, before settling on the best.
If you opt to objectively compare the pay TV services, in order to settle for the best, one question is bound to come up. That is the question as to what criteria you would be using, to compare the pay TV services, before ultimately settling on the ‘best’. So this is a questions as to what the relevant considerations are, when selecting a subscription TV service. And that is the question we will be attempting to answer, in this particular article.
In selecting a pay TV service to subscribe for, some of the important considerations include:
- The subscription cost: There are some pay TV services for which the subscription fees are very high. There are others whose subscriptions are rather low. So it is important for you to get a list of all pay TV services you can subscribe for, and then try to find out what the subscription fees for each are. Then the challenge would be for you to find the one that offers you the best value for money (and not necessarily the cheapest one). You, of course, have to understand that some of the cheaper pay TV services come with certain compromises. So you may find a certain pay TV service whose subscription fees are rather low – but whose viewers have to put up with ads. If you are willing to put up with ads, this wouldn’t be a big deal. But if you are subscribing for pay TV services in a bid to ‘escape’ from ads, and you end subscribing for a pay TV package that entails putting up with ads, it would be a rather bitter pill to swallow.
- The content variety: There are some pay TV packages whose subscribers have a great variety of content to enjoy. It is not uncommon, on some pay TV platforms, to find a dozen sports channels, 30 news channels, 30 movie channels, 40 religious channels, 20 music channels… and so on. On the other hand, you have some pay TV services whose subscribers have a very small variety of content. So that is like where you find a pay TV package that has only a couple of news channels, a couple of sports channels, one music channel, three cartoon channels for kids, a couple of religious channels… and so on. Now the most important thing is for you to figure out how much variety you want. Then you can settle for the pay TV package that offers you such variety at the most reasonable subscription fee. It is worth mentioning that the pay TV service with the greatest variety is not always the best (for everyone). There are individuals who find too much variety to be ‘suffocating’. If you are in that category, you may find the pay TV services with a smaller variety of programming ideal. That is like where, instead of 40 news channels, you only have the 5 major news channels to choose from…
- The content quality: We find that some pay TV services are known to offer very high quality content, consistently. So they have established a good reputation, in that regard. We also find some pay TV services that are known to offer content of rather mediocre quality. The most important thing, then, is for you to check out reviews of the various pay TV service providers, to find out which ones have a reputation for offering high quality content (and then ensure that those are the only ones you consider subscribing for). You need to beware of the fact that there are some pay TV service providers that offer content of such mediocre content that they are beaten by free-to-air services. So the fact that a TV service provider is operating under the pay TV model doesn’t automatically mean that they offer superior content. It is really upon you to undertake some due diligence, to find out which pay TV service providers offer content that is commensurate with the fees they charge.
- Reliability: There are some pay TV services that have a reputation for being highly reliable. There are others that are very unreliable, in the sense that they keep on experiencing all manner of outages (like whenever there is inclement weather). Again, it is important for you to check out the reviews of the various pay TV service providers. You should ensure that the pay TV service provider you settle for has good reputation, when it comes to reliability. Otherwise it is easy to settle for a pay TV service where you would be prone to getting outages whenever you are enjoying your favorite shows. Even if you can’t find the types of reviews you are looking for online, you can, at the very least, take the trouble to ask around, and get views from other individuals who have subscribed for that particular pay TV provider’s services. People like to whine, and if there are any complaints, you will learn about them very early in the conversation.
- Customer service: The idea here is to ensure that you subscribe for a pay TV service whose provider has a functional customer care department. There are so many things that can force you, as a pay TV service subscriber, to call the customer care department at any time. If you settle for a pay TV service provider whose customer care department is lackluster, you would be having a great deal of difficulty whenever you need assistance.